Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Why do I obsess so much?

Sometimes I wish I would just take the advice of my mother and stop googling. I find myself lately looking up various websites about children with Hypotonia. Of course all of it scares the hell out of me. Most recently I found a message board site on Parentsplace devoted to children with hypotonia. As I am reading each and every introduction and story about their little ones, it frightens me that maybe my son will come down with some other symptom that someone else has. I mean he already qualifies for 2 days a week of PT, 2 days develomental intervention, and 1 day a week speech. He just turned one and needs therapy almost every day of the week. I wonder though if I am simply looking through rosey colored glasses when I say to myself, well they just ranked him low so he could qualify for the help.( I know I never gave a kid a lower grade then he/she deserved because I wanted them to get extra help). So I really do wonder sometimes what the future holds. Someone told me that he is lucky to have me as a mom because I will do whatever it takes to assure that he has every opportunity available. That comment made me think... All parents worry and all parents want what is best for their kids but how much therapy can one take? I know that sometimes I cut sessions short if Alex is crying or I think he has had enough. Then again I keep questioning myself, what else should I be doing? Have I left any stone unturned? My mother keeps telling me to stop looking up information and to stop reading about every possible genetic or random disorder, but I can't help it. She is right, I have become obsessed... I am obsessed about finding out everything I can to help my son. I am obsessed about working out everyday. It is ironic that around the time I found out about Alex's conditioned, I became a gym rat again. I think having 2 obessions is good for me, it keeps me balanced! I guess I just answered my own question regading my obsessions!

No comments: