Tuesday, May 02, 2006

What...Discipline MY kid???

Well it happened... it was a normal Karate Monday until my oldest( he turned 5 in March), received a time out for misbehaving. I was okay with the time out, but as the class went on it seemed as though everything was fine until the end. You see at the end of each Karate class all of the kids get a new stripe, after 10 stripes they get a brand new belt. Now there are many 4 and 5 year olds that do not know the difference between 9 and 10 stripes, but my son Dylan knew he needed 4 more stripes a month ago! So at the end of class, the instructor(big meanie) informs my son that he did not earn his stripe this week, and he would have to behave properly to earn it next week. The look on Dylan's face made me want to go up to the Karate coach and high kick him! But I sat back, bit my tongue and told Dylan that yes... his teacher is right and he has to earn his belt. I guess I can finally understand how parents just walk away and do not watch as I train their young soccer players. I work the young kids so hard, and I discipline when necessary. They realize that they can't interrupt practice and undermine my authority, just like I could not undermine Mr. Jay's. So I did what many parents have probably did because of me, told my kid to take the punishment and learn a lesson. I am the one who learned the biggest lesson though... Yes, parents have feelings too. They probably are more upset about the discipline instilled upon their children by others than the children are! Teachers and coaches dole out discipline everyday, but... can they take it?... that answer would be no, not if it is their kid!

1 comment:

Steve Tufaro said...

This is poetry, turn it into a book and ship it to all these numbskulls that foster the Nation of Wimps.