Wednesday, May 10, 2006

I couldn't do it alone

As I ponder the complexity of my daily existence, I wonder myself, as do many others as to how I manage teaching full time, caring for three children under 5, that are involved in Karate, Gymanastics, cyberventures, and gymboree. Alex also has physical therapy twice a week, and I train 2 soccer teams every weds from 415-715. Somehow I manage to get to the gym 6 days per week for atleast an hour. I know how I do it.... My husband! As much as I would love to be home everyday with my children, I know that if I ever decided to do that my husband would have to pick up an extra full time job. That simply would be unacceptable. My husband and I are both teachers which means we share vacations, weekends and yes.... summers! The most importnat thing though is time. Although we start work at 7am( yes 7am), we are finished by 3:05( His day is longer than mine!), that means we BOTH share the responsibility of shuttling the kids from activity to activity. He is often the lone father at gymnastics class or gymboree and never does he complain. He never calls it babysitting, he knows his job and does it with a smile. Weds are particularly hard on him, because I do not get home until 745, so he finishes a long day at work and is responsible for picking the kids up, taking the 3 of them to the park, making them dinner and getting them cleaned up and ready for bed. I know many women have to make a choice between staying at home or working full time, it is such a tough choice to make, and each has its own unique challenges. I feel that although on paper it looks like I am super-woman, I am not because I have superman to help! When I get home tonight, my husband will have the baby in bed and Dylan and Kenzie in their pajamas, we will sit and eat together and and talk about our days. He does not realize how much he does for me and our children. He simply does what feels right. He puts our needs before his own and never complains. So all of the things I do personally and we do as a family is made possible because we split all responsibilities 50/50

No comments: