Friday, May 26, 2006

My dinner date

So last night my friend and I had a couple of beers and some food( well I had some food, she did not eat much because her husband was off today and cooked her dinner, normally one might think that Basil's food has to be much better, but her husband is a chef at a very good restaurant in Red Bank, and I have had his food... and it is great-- Mom- he is the one that makes those portobello mushroom baguettes!). So of course the only thing we discussed all night was the babies, well the bar tender was involved in the conversation because he is married to a teacher, has a 10 month old and watches his son while his wife works. So he understands too. We discussed at length what is better a daycare center vs. home day care. She wants to have someone come to her house 4 days per week. It is the most expesive of the options but, she will ask the person to do light cleaning when the baby is sleeping. Now that sounds like a plan!! I then told her about all of the inappropriate comments that she is going to get at work. Like .. How do you leave the baby home all day, don't you miss her?. I could never do that I had to stay home, Are you going to keep coaching> How do you coach with three little ones? My comment to that is... ASK every single MALE teacher the same question and ask them how they do it. Why is it always just assumed that men can still coach and teach but women can't. That bothers me so much. There are a few mommy's out their that still coach and teach, but we are not very numerous. I really do get asked on a daily basis when will I give up coaching. I want to say to all of these people. I will give it up when I am good and ready. Right now I am not. I love working with the girls and coaching my school team. Plus the extra cash pays for Karate, gymnastics, gymboree and whatever else the kids want to do. So I do not know what caused that latest rant but it has been on my mind! I am looking forward to August and starting a new season. I know it will be hectic especially with physical therapy appointments, Karate and gymnastics, and yes Dylan and kenzie will be playing soccer on saturdays, but we will figure it out, we always do! So my dinner date with my girlfriend was fun, and she still is not ready to go back to work next week. She would not be ready next month or year either. A mom is never ready to leave her baby all day, but sometimes it is a necessity, so please do not make inappropriate comments, and make her feel worse than she already does.

1 comment:

Gini (Hallquist) Young said...

Thank you. Stay-at-home "momness" was forced on me by hurricane Katrina, but it took 8 months to be O.K. with it. It's not for everyone, and though it has some benefits, there are many times I really miss work. A lot of women are much healthier people if they do have their own lives separate from their children as well as their lives with them.