Sunday, September 03, 2006

No more Monkeys jumping on the bed!

I wake up John at 830 this morning like usual and then proceed to tell him that I am leaving to go to the gym to take a spin class. As he is brushing his teeth, I am waiting in Dylan's room with Alex and Dylan who are on the bed. Then out of the blue I see Alex start to tumble and then ouch... his little head hit the headboard. I immediately assume he is going to get an egg on his head, so I scooped him up and started to apply the ice pack. As I opened my eyes, I saw blood(bright red!) everywhere. I could not believe it. As I was trying to control the blood I ask john for the phone and proceed to call 911. There was no way we could have driven ourselves with having to apply pressure on Alex's head and the 2 other kids. It would have been too much. The police arrived at my house within 5 minutes. They offered to drive Alex and I to the hospital because the first aid was busy. So we hopped in the police car. As we were in the police car, I called my plasticsurgeon( hey who would have known having one of them would come in handy!), and was told that the PS on charge would take care of Alex. The cut was in the middle of his forhead, so I wanted a PS to do the work. After 2 hour in the hospital, Alex had his wound sewed up. i would guess that he had a few stitches underneath the skin and about 6-8 that we will have to have removed in 8 days. We had to swaddle him and hold him down during the procedure. That is the hardest part about being a parent. Can you imagine having to hold your 16 month old down while a doctor is about to sew him up like a pair of ripped jeans? The fact that Alex's wound was in the middle of his face, right at his eye line could not have made it any easier for him, thats for sure. After screamimg his little head off for about 10 minutes he fell asleep. Right in the middle of his stitches. He lay there sleeping so the doctor could finish the job undisturbed! He proceeded to sleep for 3 more hour or so and is now playing with his big sister like nothing happened! What a trooper. I learned an important lesson today. Childrens songs hold important messages. 2 little monkeys jumping on the bed, 1 fell off and bumped his head, went to the doctor and the doctor said.... No more monkeys jumping on the bed!

No comments: