Friday, October 24, 2008

13 seasons

I am sitting here trying to gather up the strength to coach the last game of my HS Varsity coaching career. I think back to 13 years ago when I coached my first ever varsity game against Raritan. I can remember it like it was yesterday with Lauren Smolensky scoring the winning goal as we beat them 1-0. As I remember that game, history has a way of repeating itself as I will end my career at MHSS ar Raritan as well today, on that exact same football field that is well taken care of. When I think back, I am just flooded with emotions. I have had a blast coaching. it has never been about the money but purely the love of the sport and more importantly the relationships I have made along the way. I run into former players all of the time and still try and help them get jobs, retain jobs, talk with them etc. Some I am proud to call good friends. Most of them never played beyond HS. I know every parent believes that their child is going to be the next great thing and will get a scholarship to the college of their choice, but that is not the case. In reality HS Sports are just HS sports. It is a time for kids to have fun, represent their school, make friends and have lasting memories. Sure a couple state chapmionships are fun too! I do not even know where are state tournament plaques are, I never even looked at them. I actually never even think about it... what I think about is the girls... What are they doing now? Are they happy? Are they on their way to accomplishing their goals etc? As I look back on the last 13 years. I remember the laughs, and the relationships made. I am proud to have been able to coach the girls for such a long time, and am sad to let them go. My kids need me at home now after school so this difficult decision had to be made. I will miss the laughs and the tears, and the hugs. I cant think of a better way to spend August. September, and October( and yes in some years even November). Thanks Girls

No comments: