Friday, May 09, 2008

My letter was in the paper and here it is!

Early intervention makes a difference
Thanks to all the wonderful therapists from Ladacin, the Visiting Nurses Association of Monmouth County and Shore Rehabilitation.
Two and a half years ago, I recognized there was something wrong with my son. He was almost 7 months old and still needed head support, did not reach for objects and did not eat more than 2 ounces at a time.
So I made that phone call, difficult for all parents, to the state's Early Intervention System. The evaluation showed he was severely delayed. I was told kids like Alex do not walk until they are 2, always will be more clumsy than their peers and would not be able to play contact sports.
Alex received speech, physical, occupational and developmental therapy at home five days a week from lovely ladies who pushed him beyond his limits.
My husband left his job as a full-time special education teacher to be a stay-at-home dad for Alex and my other two children and worked on all the exercises.
Together, all of these special people "cured" my son.
That's what early intervention is all about — therapists and families working together to produce the best possible outcome for the affected child.
Alex is running, jumping and climbing with his peers, is starting soccer and hockey, has gained weight and is a typical child because of the help and support he received from his therapists.
I am proud of him and urge parents to call early intervention if they notice major delays with their children. With stimulation and therapy, young children can make drastic improvements. Thank you to all who made this possible.
KRISTEN HAAR

2 comments:

Barbara said...

What a wonderful success story! I hope everyday that we can have simialar results with Bennett. It seems great therapists and lots of support makes all the difference.

Kiera said...

Thanks for sharing this story Kris! It is great to see success stories like this!